This award recognizes blogs who are enjoyed by less than 200 followers. And, from what I read, “Liebster” is a German word that means beloved and valued so I’ll take it as a compliment 🙂
So – here I go! Finally fulfilling the requirements of the award. I may not do all of this perfectly, but I’ll do my best to answer most of the questions from the other blogs.
Thanks, everyone, for your support as I search for second level.
· Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog. (check!)
· List 11 random facts about yourself.
· Answer the 11 questions given to you.
· Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate.
· Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or less followers to nominate and include links to their blogs.
· Go to each bloggers page and let them know you have nominated them.
11 Random Facts
1. I wish I could read more/faster.
2. I love to sing and have a music minor.
3. I love to play drums on Rock Band. Seriously. Could play this game for hours every day. I got a PS3 and the game for Christmas a few years ago and was probably the only 28ish year old wife in existence who wanted that for a gift 🙂 My husband fell asleep to the sound of me playing for months.
4. I’ve completed five half-marathons in my life.
5. I’m passionate about music. I keep a book of all the song lyrics I like and flip through it every once and awhile to see if I can just sing the sections I’ve written without hearing the rest of the song.
6. I need about 8-10 hours of sleep a night to function properly.
7. I would love to be able to jump 3’ fences.
8. I am an absolutely HORRIBLE speller.
9. I believe in God and Jesus Christ, but also support everyone’s right to choose their own religion and path to spiritual well-being.
10. I hated peas when I was a kid, but now I LOVE them.
11. I wish my writing could be less serious and more entertaining and funny – so jealous of witty writers!
Answer 11 Questions from Gallops & Garlands
- Describe your first pony. I got Pharrah, my Arabian, when I was 14 years old. She was exactly what I was looking for: an all-around horse in her mid-teens. My family did not have money, but her sellers were looking to let her go to a young girl for a very low cost. She was a dream come true.
- Favourite equestrian magazine? Right now, I read the USDF Connection whenever it comes in the mail.
- What are the items of tack you use daily? Every day that I ride, I wear my helmet: a promise to my husband.
- Do you leave your spurs on your boots? Here’s a fun fact: I’ve never worn spurs! Ever! I’m worried my legs aren’t steady enough…
- Stretch the legs when girthing up? I did for awhile, but once I stretched too far at a show an made Sebastian step short for a bit so now, if I do, it’s very carefully!
- Tie or Stock? Tie
- What’s your favourite Olympic memory? Humm..not quite sure, but I do remember watching Dressage on TV and my sister commenting that the horses look really dumb doing a Passage. That launched into a long conversation about how much athleticism a horse needs to do so and that she was witnessing a very cool thing.
- What is your food choice on a horse show morning? Great question! Last year it was chocolate chip muffins and orange juice. This year it was protein powder and almonds.
- Shavings or straw? Shavings
- Favourite movement to ride? My horses collected canter is a dream! I could literally canter him forever.
- Best breeches brand? Don’t buy too much, but I have success with Kerrits.
11 Questions from On the Bit (combo of “horsey” and “non-horsey” questions)
- What is your favorite discipline and why did you pick it? Dressage calls to me. There is a magic moment when you click with your mount and feel the dance and partnership. It was all over for me after I felt it. I wanted to feel that connection over and over and haven’t looked back since!
- What is your favorite horse name? I’ve always loved the name “Fella” for a big gelding.
- Do you prefer a helmet or a top hat? Helmet!
- How long do you warm up? A good 10 minutes or more at a walk and 10 or more at t/c. Before a class at a show, I’ll try to get 40-45 minutes in the warm up.
- Do you ride in the morning or afternoon? Anytime I can fit it in! lol
- What is your favorite barn chore? Evening feeding. Leaving the horses happy, munching, and quiet.
- What is your goal when you blog? Just write. About anything. Get my fingers moving on the keyboard and strengthen those skills.
- Do you have to write a new post on a separate document and plan what you are going to write or do you just wing it? I do both, depending on how serious the post will be. I kinda hate cutting and pasting from word because you have to check the formatting, BUT I’m also scared I’ll accidentally publish too soon when I type directly into wordpress.
- Who was your first follower? My dear friend and supporter, Julie, at Reaching My Full Potential. 🙂
- How many blog posts have you written? This is number 32!
- Random…if you could have a super power, what would it be? Flight.
Questions from Piaffe Girl:
1. What is your favorite non-horsey hobby? READNG! But I never get enough time to… If I wanted to be funny, I’d also say drinking, because I’ve been enjoying that a bit lately, too 🙂 Maybe that’s why I don’t have enough time to read…
2. What discipline do you ride? Dressage. But I stared in 4H: gaming, pleasure, halter and have done some hunter/jumper stuff as well.
3. Do you compete? Yes! I will as long as it continues to be fun for both my horse and me.
4. If you have a horse, what is his / her name and is there any special meaning to the name? His name is Sebastian – registered name Wooloomooloo. I like Sebastian, but he came with the name. I think he got his registered name from it having to start with a “W.” His sire is Wundermeyer and grand-sire is Weltmeyer.
5. Do you come from a family of riders, or are you alone in your sport? My mom and dad both had horses before kids and now again after we’ve grown up. They fueled and supported my passion for horses.
6. What’s the strangest thing a non-horseperson has asked you about riding? Hum.. not sure if this qualifies, but I have had people wonder why I show if I’m not in it to win any money. I’m sure there are stranger questions but I can’t think of any off the top of my head…
7. If you could ride with any trainer in the world tomorrow, whom would you choose? My trainer. Leah Nelson at Sweet Water Equestrian.
8. Do you have any horse / riding-related superstitions? Nope.
9. Tall boots or paddocks and half-chaps? I usually ride with half chaps on regular riding days.
10. What’s the best horse event you’ve ever attended (either as a spectator or a rider)? I used to work at the Pebble Beach Equestrian Center and I loved having the Classics I and II right outside my door. It was fun to watch the Grand Prix jumping competition.
11. If your horse could talk, what’s the first thing he / she would tell you? Give me treats NOW! hehe. I’d also like to think he’d thank me for giving him a good home. 🙂
Questions from the IOU project:
- Who helped the most to get you where you are? In young life? My mother and my grandmother (father’s mother). In the last 10 or so years, my husband, hands down. It might be risky to say it, but my life would be nothing without him.
- Why did you start riding horses, or why have you continued to? It is ingrained. I don’t know why. I’m hardwired to ride and be connected with horses. I was lucky to find a barn when I was 13 that let me ride in exchange for stall cleaning. I’m not myself unless I have some horse time.
- What is your proudest equestrian moment? My first horse show with Sebastian. He was so awesome. 🙂
- What is your biggest challenge for riding right now? Finding time to ride. I think I have the talent, I know my horse has the talent, but damn life keeps getting in the way! Being an Adult Amateur is very difficult sometimes because it is hard to justify the need to go “play with horses” at 31 years old.
- Where would your ideal ride take place? In a field. Galloping. Jumping. Pure horsey power.
- Boots, Polos, or Plain? Plain. My horse HATE stuff around his legs!
- Do you get any equestrian magazines? Yes. USDF Connection. Also – do catalogs count? I get tons of those 😉
- What discipline have you never tried, but you really want to? Reining
- Do you have a best friend you ride (or rode) with? My friend Katie was my childhood horsey friend. I have lots of good trail ride memories with her.
- What is your favorite breed and color of horse? I love blood bays. I love so many breeds, also. Couldn’t choose. I usually go personality first 🙂
- If you could train with anyone, who would you choose? Well, since I already said Leah above, I’ll say that again 🙂 I can’t think of anyone I’m necessarily dying to ride for. If it were free, I’d take a lesson from anyone. I love getting feedback from lots of people.
Questions from Journey of a Dressage Student:
Create 11 Questions for nominees:
- What is your favorite holiday?
- Name the best book you’ve read recently.
- Do you have a lucky number?
- Why do you blog?
- Would you ever put peanut butter on chicken?
- What did you want to be when you were younger?
- Where is the furthest you have traveled?
- Name one current goal you have.
- If your house was burning, and all your family/pets were safe, what is the one thing you would grab on your way out?
- Do you have a nickname and, if so, where did it come from? (if not, just make one up!)
- When writing: silence or background noise?
Now, I’m not sure how many followers everyone has here. I’m sure there is a way to figure it out, but I just need to get this post done 😉 I may be breaking the rules, but I just wanted to share some blogs I follow and like. Truly, if you nominees don’t want to worry about fulfilling the requirements, that’s great. It took me almost six weeks to complete this post! Just wanted to give a shout out to these entertaining, inspirational, and interesting blogs in no particular order:
Quarter Acre Home: Sustainable Living and farming on a Quarter Acre.
Travel. Garden. Eat. This is a nice, relaxed blog with beautiful pictures of Northern Minnesota.
All That Glitters. Fun fashion posts and ponies, too!
Reaching My Full Potential. Julie inspired me to change my life – and start a blog!
Uberbeastmode. Colin has been so supportive of me, and his post We Fall and We Get Back Up helped me in a difficult time.
Sassypanties. If you don’t mind f-bombs, check out her blog. I laugh a lot.
The Dimwit Diary. Who I know for a FACT has much more than 200 followers, but, damn I love this blog. Had to share.
And – BAM! Am I finally finished? I know that wasn’t eleven, but I didn’t want to nominate just to get to that number. I wanted to be sure and nominate blogs I’ve actually been reading regularly.
Plus – there is a spider running around my desk so I think it’s time to go.
I hope you all are proud of me for getting this post done! 🙂 Until next time…